Please be advised that only a trained mental health professional is qualified to make a mental health diagnosis.
If you or a loved one are living with borderline personality disorder, you've come to the right place.
Most borderline patients need a highly skilled therapist with lots of energy and a big heart.
At Montreal Counselling and Psychotherapy, treating persons who are living with borderline personality disorder (BPD) is both a specialty and commitment.
Borderline personality disorder is a serious psychological condition characterized by an enduring pattern of behavior that includes at least five of the following symptoms:
- Extreme reactions—including panic, depression, rage, or frantic actions—to abandonment, whether real or perceived
- A pattern of intense and stormy relationships with family, friends, and loved ones, often veering from extreme closeness and love (idealization) to extreme dislike or anger (devaluation)
- Distorted and unstable self-image or sense of self, which can result in sudden changes in feelings, opinions, values, or plans and goals for the future (such as school or career choices)
- Impulsive and often dangerous behaviors, such as spending sprees, unsafe sex, substance abuse, reckless driving, and binge eating
- Recurring suicidal behaviors or threats or self-harming behavior, such as cutting
- Intense and highly changeable moods, with each episode lasting from a few hours to a few days
- Chronic feelings of emptiness and/or boredom
- Inappropriate, intense anger or problems controlling anger
- Having stress-related paranoid thoughts or severe dissociative symptoms, such as feeling cut off from oneself, observing oneself from outside the body, or losing touch with reality.
I utilize Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) in treatment for all my borderline clients. DBT is a wonderfully validating therapy that helps decrease emotional suffering, regulate feeling states, improve relationship skills, and connect with an inner sense of calm.
When we are doing DBT, I function not only as your therapist, but also as your coach and cheerleader.
Give me a call.